- Mr Kulamitra David Zukas
- Email address:
- Thesis title:
- Revealing the Religious Landscape at Bhaja, Bedsa and Karle, Buddhist Rock-cut Monasteries
- Year of Study:
- 1977- 2020: Member of the Western Buddhist Order/Triratna Buddhist Order.
- 1980-2015: Founding Trustee of Aid For India/Karuna Trust.
- 1981-86: Chairman of the London Buddhist Centre.
- 1990-4: BA Religious Studies and History (SOAS).
- 1993-2002: Chairman of the North London Buddhist Centre.
- 2012-15: MA History of Art and Archaeology (SOAS).
- 2015-20:President of the North London Buddhist Centre.
- 2016-20: PhD Student in the History of Art and Archaeology Dept. (SOAS).
I have been researching what the material remains of rock-cut monasteries reveal of the life of early Buddhists. I have found networks of smaller hermitages and monastic rock-shelters in-between three early rock-cut Buddhist monasteries at Bhaja, Bedsa and Karla.I have also re-evaluated the major monasteries, discovering new features missed by previous studies. I have been able to integrate and date the phases of architectural and monastic development in all these sites in the upper Indrayani Valley.
- Annual Allchin Symposium in South Asian Archaeology 2019. UKABS Annual Conference 2017.
- Member of Triratna Buddhist Order