Neil Kreitman Studentship
- Deadline date
The studentship would be opened to applicants proposing to carry out a research project in the field of the Buddhist art, architecture or archaeology of Gandhara or of another Northern Central Asian Buddhist Culture.
For new applicants, the studentship would be tenable at the school for two years, one academic year in the first instance and renewable for another year, subject to annual satisfactory progression (£6,241 each year for up to 2 years).
For Current students at SOAS, the scholarship will be for:
- Students enrolled on year 1 - the student will get funding for Year 2 and Year 3 (£6,241 each year for up to 2 years) subject to annual satisfactory progression.
- Students enrolled on year 2 - the student will get funding for Year 3 and Year 4: continuation writing up period (£6,241 each year for up to 2 years)
- Student enrolled on year 3 - the student will get funding for Year 4: continuation - writing up period (£6,241 each year for one year)
- Full-time MPhil/PhD, which involves undertaking research in the field of Buddhist art, architecture or archaeology of Gandhara or of another Northern Central Asian Buddhist Culture
- Part-time programmes are not eligible. Current part-time students must change to full-time status if their application is successful and they elect to accept this award
- Home/EU and Overseas
- New applicants must be starting in September 2022 or be a current MPhil/PhD student at SOAS
- Applicant should hold a good first degree, or equivalent qualification, preferably in a relevant subject and must normally possess or expect to be awarded a Merit or Distinction in their Master’s Degree
- Applicants must submit a research proposal, which must have a primary focus in the field of the Buddhist art, architecture or archaeology of Gandhara or of another Northern Central Asian Buddhist Culture
- New Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2022) must submit an application to study at SOAS and then submit an application for this scholarship. In order to be a considered applicants must submit a complete online application to study. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- New Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2022) must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2022. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- You will need to have a firm offer for your programme by the time the Scholarship Selection panel meet. It is therefore recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarships deadline (that is, by 21 March 2022).
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by Selection Panel consisting of three academic members
- For new applicants only: academic references, degree result, research proposal, your statement and other relevant information in your application will be considered to assess the above criteria
- For current students only: an academic reference, degree result, your statement and other relevant information will be considered to assess the above criteria
For Current MPhil/PhD students only a reference is required from your current research supervisor.
The reference form will be available from the download box. Please download ‘ The Neil Kreitman Studentship 2022 Reference Form’ then, your research supervisor must return the reference form by the scholarship deadline (23:59 on 02 May 2022) to email@example.com
For new applicants, references from your MPhil/PhD admissions application will be used.
Late applications and references will not be accepted.
Scholarship Application Deadline & Application Material
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 23:59 (UK local time) on 02 May 2022
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2022): You must submit a complete application of your programme as soon as possible and then submit an application for this scholarship. Please note that complete applications for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by the end of July 2022. If you have not heard from us by then, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
Further information about PhDs at SOAS Univeristy of London is available from: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a two-step procedure:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme*
Guidance for applying for a Research Programme and information on what makes an application can be found here for How to Appy
(*IMPORTANT information for current SOAS students only: If you are currently enrolled on a SOAS MPhil/PhD, do not complete STEP 1. You just need to complete STEP 2 below)
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 23:59 (UK local time) on 02 May 2022.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships Department:
Telephone : +44 (0)20 7074 5106