Persian Elementary Course
- 1 term per sub-level; 10 weeks per term
- Attendance mode
- Part-time, online/blended learning
This course aims to consolidate the basis of Persian grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation covered in the first year; coverage of more complex structures and vocabulary; emphasis on spoken communication and listening and reading comprehension. The aim of this course is to ensure that students use Persian in ways that are increasingly challenging resulting in a particular goal: an extended command of the Persian language. This course focuses on the acquisition of practical communicative skills. There are practical topics, each with a list of new vocabulary and additional revision and offering students the opportunity to check their progress. This course is delivered by the Language Centre.
The course is taught mainly in Persian and further develops the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. Students engage in interactive language activities, participating in group and pair work to practice vocabulary, expressions, grammar and structures. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive interactive practice with individual feedback and advice on progress.
This will be achieved through 20 hours of blended learning: this is composed of 15 hours of online structured lessons with the teacher. This is supplemented by a minimum of 5 hours of guided independent learning supported by complementary material and regular feedback from the tutor. The course objective will be achieved within the 10-week course.
Online course requirements
Please ensure you have checked the learner support page
Course materials are provided by your tutor.
Entry requirement and progression route
To be able to join Elementary 1 you should have completed Beginners 1, Beginners 2 and Beginners 3 respectively at SOAS Language Centre or have an equivalent knowledge of guided learning hours (20 hours per each sub-level). The progression route from Elementary 1 is to Persian Elementary 2; from Elementary 2 to Elementary 3.
Please note, that each term, courses are subject to quorum requirements.
Persian Elementary 3 online is scheduled for our term commencing 24 April 2023.
For course dates and information, please see our timetables
Persian Elementary 1
- describe your house
- talk about your daily routines
- discuss your social life (Visiting friends…)
- talk about historical places in Iran (Persepolis: takht-e Jamshid)
- discuss about different film genres and your favourite films
- talk about moving to a new house
- describe poor health or discomfort
- talk about healthy lifestyle (Keeping fit)
- discuss healthy food
- vegetarianism and dietary needs
Persian Elementary 2
- describe feelings and emotions
- talk about university and school
- describe the best party in your life
- talk about role models
- talk about historical places in Tehran
- talk about the film “A separation”
- talk about Iranian epic, the Shahnamah
- talk about story of Zahhak from the Shahnamah
- talk about Iranian traditional music
- talk about National celebrations; Yalda night
Persian Elementary 3
- discuss hobbies and interests
- talk about good and bad holiday experiences
- describe a place of historical interest
- discuss family ties in Iranian culture
- talk about life without family (the pros and cons)
- talk about Hafez the Persian poet
- talk about your favourite books
- discuss educational issues: school and university
- discuss issues about studying abroad
- talk about Nawruz, Iranian new year
The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules
See the full list of Language Centre short courses in Persian on the Persian language homepage
- Course fees
- Term dates
- Terms and conditions
- Learner support (incl. SOAS Language Centre account, library card, BLE/Moodle access)
Back to the Language Centre