SOAS University of London

International Students

Information for Prospective Students from Taiwan

Taiwan Flag

Welcome to the information page for Taiwan, which contains specific information for Taiwanese students interested in studying at SOAS. We currently have 36 students from Taiwan studying at the School.

Contact Us

Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700

Mark also travels to Taiwan regularly and you can find out about forthcoming visits at the Meet SOAS staff in your Area page.

SOAS works with a number of local representatives in Taiwan and you can contact them directly with any questions about applying to and studying at SOAS:

Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate Study

The Taiwanese High School leaving certificate is not sufficient for entry to a SOAS undergraduate degree. The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offer a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities. Applicants offering either ‘A’ levels or the IB Diploma will also be considered. Further information can be found on the undergraduate admissions pages.

Graduate Study

Applicants with an upper second class (or equivalent) bachelor’s degree from a good university will be considered for entry to a SOAS master’s degree.
Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification from a good university.
In addition you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements; please refer to the postgraduate prospects or postgraduate admissions pages.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English will normally have to provide evidence of their English language proficiency. Please check the English language requirements page for detailed information. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

Foundation Courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.


SOAS offers a wide-range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students, including 11 SOAS Masters scholarships for £14, 670, which is open to any Masters student studying full-time.
A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a list please visit scholarships and bursaries.


The SOAS Careers Service is part of the The Careers Group, University of London, which is the biggest careers service in the country. The Careers Service provides a range of services including a careers information library, career counselling services and various events throughout the year, to help with career choice, job hunting, applications and interviews.


If you are interested in contacting an alum of SOAS in Taiwan then please contact: Daniel Mojahedi (MA Chinese Studies 2008);

Useful Links

The British Council is the British Government's international organization for educational and cultural relations. Their Taiwanese website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.

Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.

UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.

The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.

UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.

The British Consulate in Taipei may also be able to help you with information about travelling to the UK.